Sunday, May 11, 2008

meet my penpal! by Shoko

May 2

I had a good opportunity to make a small friend in Writing class. I was able to get a pen pal who is an elementary school student. His name is Trenton, and he is in 5th grade. In the class, he and I exchanged some letters and asked some questions of each other. Then we promised to keep in a touch, even if this penpal program finished, and suggested how to contact with each other after we met. On May 2, my class went to Ponderosa Elementary School to meet our pen pals. I was a little nervous, because I heard that children speak so fast because they never mind me. When I went into the school and waited for a while, our penpals welcomed us and each student had a signboard with their partner's name written on it. It was easy to find pairs. After I met Trenton at that time, he introduced me his school as a guide. I was able to see many differences about the school between the U.S. and Japan. For example, it might be only Ponderosa, but there was also a kindergarten in the elementary school, and the classes were named by teacher's names, such as "Tom's class" or "Anna's class". In the classrooms, there were a lot of students' work everywhere, such as on the walls and ceiling. Sometimes children studied lying down. I think it was very casual. After the tour, we ate lunch together. At first, our conversation didn't work well, so we were confused, but gradually we were able to communicate. If I didn't understand what he said, I asked him to repeat, then he spoke more slowly for me. We enjoyed talking and playing with my souvenirs. His favorite was a paper balloon. I felt so happy to see his smile. The great time went by so fast. It was time to go back to MFWI. All the children went out to see us off. I was so sad to say good-bye even if I was with him for a short time. We exchanged our e-mail addresses and promised to send e-mail. Actually, we have sent each other some e-mails already. I appreciate my teachers' giving me such a beautiful opportunity.

No comments: